Carbon Monoxide and its Dangers

Carbon Monoxide (CO) results from burning gas, coal, oil, wood, and other carbon-based fuels, and is a highly poisonous gas with no taste, colour, or odor. Generally, victims of CO poisoning are unaware of it, until their health begins to deteriorate and they are diagnosed with it. However, in some severe cases, CO poisoning can cause fatalities because of its colourless, tasteless, and odourless nature, and due to its symptoms often being mistaken for flu or food poisoning.
Unfortunately, some cases of CO poisoning are as a result of improper management of wood burning or multi-fuel stoves. There are some circumstances under which the risk of poisoning from these stoves are increased, and it is important to us at Lee Davies Fireplace and Brickwork Specialists to ensure your complete safety from CO poisoning by eliminating these circumstances. Our reliable services are available to a range of areas, including Oxfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire, Berkshire, Bedfordshire, and London.

Carbon Monoxide Detectors

It has been a UK Building Regulations requirement since October 2010 to fit a CO detector with every installed stove. Any stove that is not fitted with a CO detector could potentially be harmful to the health of your family, as you would not be able to detect whether or not CO is present in your home.
Poor Quality Stoves

It has become increasingly important to ensure that all stoves are tested and checked according to CE standards to ensure the continued safety of you and your family. As a result, through a high-profile, governmentally funded initiative, along with the Stove Industry Alliance and HETAS, Trading Standards is set to highlight the potential dangers of non-CE tested stoves, or stoves which claim to be CE tested, but in reality are not. However, you can rest assured that Lee Davies Fireplace and Brickwork Specialists only sources the highest quality approved stoves to ensure that you get quality comfort in your home without the risk of harmful CO.

Improperly Installed Stoves

The Building Regulations and the included legal responsibilities all homeowners are required to adhere to allow all stove installations to be carried out safely and practically. If you decide to undertake the risk of installing your stove yourself, you may potentially increase the chances of your exposure to CO poisoning. At Lee Davies Fireplace and Brickwork Specialists you can rest assured in knowing that your stove will be fitted safely and according to all the necessary Building Regulations and legal requirements to prevent any exposure to CO.

Unchecked and Neglected Stoves

Simple checks performed by manufacturers will allow them to provide you with a timescale and a list of items that need to be checked in accordance with this timescale. They will also provide you with detailed instructions on how to replace certain consumable components. Lee Davies Fireplace and Brickwork Specialists will be able to assist you with a range of checks and maintenance to ensure your stove is working safely.

Clogged or Blocked Chimneys

Clogging can occur quickly when certain fuels, such as damp wood or bituminous coal, has been used regularly. Additionally, clogging can also occur if you burn your stove overnight at a lower heat, or if you neglect to sweep it out regularly. We will be able to advise you on the best practises when it comes to your chimney to ensure you get the best possible use out of all your systems.

Inadequate Ventilation

Since October 2010, Building Regulations have implemented stricter criteria where ventilation requirements are concerned. These new criteria requires even 5kW stoves and under to have some form of fixed ventilation. We will be able to offer you advice on how to go about installing your stove, as well as how to ensure adequate ventilation, to leave your family not only warm and comfortable, but also safe.

Stoves and Extractor Fans

Under UK Building Regulations, it is not permitted to have a wood burning or multi-fuel stove operate in the same room as an extractor fan. This is due to the fact that, as the stove’s fire dies down and the flue’s effectiveness is reduced, CO can potentially be strongly pulled out of the flue system by the extractor fan, resulting in exposure to the gas, as well as nuisance smoke.